Monday, July 25, 2005

The Dialogue

*** Bill *** Day 1

Jack,

I haven't emailed you in quite some time. I have finally landed a job at the Company as a concierge at one of the resorts. While the pay is very low, the position affords me the opportunity to learn the operation of a Company resort. One thing is that I have been working extensively with the System. This is a DOS based system that was acquired many years ago from IBM. It is very out dated and difficult to learn and use. I have been trying to find out why the system has not been updated and the best answer that I can come up with is that they fear the expense of retraining people to use a new system. Jack, I am sure that a new Windows based system could be developed from existing systems that would be faster, more efficient, and much much easier to use. In addition, it most likely would take much less time to learn than current system. I am in the position to remember the days when all systems were DOS based. When Windows first came out, many people were reluctant to switch because they feared learning the new system. Jack, Windows was so easy to learn that it quickly became obvious that it was more cost effective to switch.

But perhaps you know of a compelling reason why the System should not be converted to Windows and should remain a DOS based system. Please tell me what you know about it.

I am quite sure a new Windows based system would be cost effective for the Company and in time would be a huge cost saver but I need to understand all arguments against it.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Please don't share this email or subject matter with anyone else.

Bill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home